Did the space become available when deleted?

try:
lsof | grep deleted

see if they're still running in memory. if so you might be able to save them.

Daniel Kasak wrote:
Greetings.

I've just returned from holidays, and it seems that all but 1 ibdata
file ( there were 10! ) have been deleted by a co-worker. He apparently
was able to delete them with nautilus ( he was looking to reclaim some
space and these were 1GB files each ... and yes, the Trash was emptied
as well ). I would have assumed these would be protected from being
deleted while mysql was up, but this clearly wasn't the case ( or was
it? perhaps they are still around? ).

The astonishing thing is that mysql doesn't seem to care about this. It
happened 1 week ago, and no-one has complained about any
database-related problems since. I've got a nightly backup script which
does a 'mysqldump' on each database, and then restarts the server
( which gives me daily transaction logs ).

Tonight, I obviously plan on doing a complete reinstall from an old
backup, and running the transaction logs.

But, just out of curiosity ... what the hell is going on? Why is mysql
not complaining bitterly, crashing, and worse?

Note the lack of ibdata1 ... ibdata9

screamer mysql # ls -l
total 2885424
drwx------ 2 mysql mysql       480 Nov 26  2006 Assets
drwx------ 2 mysql mysql       168 Sep 21 14:57 EPricing
drwx------ 2 mysql mysql     12512 Sep 25 21:04 NUS
drwx------ 2 mysql mysql       656 Nov 26  2006 Timekeeper
drwx------ 2 mysql mysql      1216 Jul  4 08:46 dbmail
drwx------ 2 mysql mysql       648 Aug 13 14:18 dspam
drwx------ 2 mysql mysql     16584 Sep 18 09:32 ebills
drwx------ 2 mysql mysql       824 Sep 24 14:45 energy
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql   5242880 Sep 26 09:08 ib_logfile0
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql   5242880 Sep 26 09:08 ib_logfile1
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root  root 15112077312 Sep 26 09:08 ibdata10
drwx------ 2 mysql mysql      1848 Nov 26  2006 mysql
drwx------ 2 mysql mysql       648 Dec 20  2006 roundcubemail
drwx------ 3 mysql mysql      6240 Sep 26 08:54 sales
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 239845598 Sep 14 20:40 screamer-bin.000201
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 591774120 Sep 17 20:44 screamer-bin.000202
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 289226895 Sep 18 20:38 screamer-bin.000203
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 281415790 Sep 19 20:36 screamer-bin.000204
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 286245722 Sep 20 20:37 screamer-bin.000205
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 331061564 Sep 21 20:43 screamer-bin.000206
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 411650198 Sep 24 20:38 screamer-bin.000207
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 309576301 Sep 25 20:37 screamer-bin.000208
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql 140007700 Sep 26 09:08 screamer-bin.000209
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql      3520 Sep 25 20:37 screamer-bin.index
-rw-rw---- 1 mysql mysql  60432327 Sep 26 09:06 screamer-slow.log
drwx------ 2 mysql mysql        80 Sep 20 11:16 test
screamer mysql #
The only way I can explain the fact that things are still working is
that these files are in fact *not* deleted, and are still in use by
mysql, but not visible to anything else. But that's ridiculous as well.
So what's going on?

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer