On Wed, 2007-09-26 at 10:55 -0400, Jerry Schwartz wrote:

> I don't know Linux that well, but I know that HP-UX lets you do most
> anything to an open file, including deleting it. The file will continue to
> exist as long as it is open by at least one process. If I remember
> correctly, this is all about the inode use count vs. the directory entry, or
> something like that. The file will actually be safe so long as it is not
> closed by the last user.

It sounds like Linux is the same.

> Those files will go away as soon as they are closed, so the database should
> be dumped before shutting down mysqld.

Done :)

Thanks to all those who responded.

I did a full backup last night and shut down mysql. At this point the
innodb files were then completely deleted ( disappeared from the output
of 'lsof' ) and the filesystem saw the extra space.

I removed my /var/lib/mysql, reconfigured things, and imported, and
everything went fine.

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer