I have an a table of objects, attached to those objects are keywords.
Users submit the keywords to the objects.

Currently, I chose to keep a hit count on the keywords, so if a duplicate
keyword is supplied, a counter is incremented.

I thought this was a good idea, as it keeps the number of rows in the
keywords table to a minimum.

However, this is a user login based system, and with the above, I lose the
ability to track which users sent in which keywords.

So I can move to the keywords table storing duplicate keywords, and each
keyword will get a user_id attached to it, but, that table will grow.  Fast.

1000 objects, each with 10 keywords only = 10,000, I could hit many millions
very fast.

I could toss in a third table, and relate that to the user_id and keyword.
However, I am inserting in one go, and that could be upwards of 30 or more
inserts, taking too long.

Anyone got any suggestions?  Thanks.