Scott Haneda wrote:
I have an a table of objects, attached to those objects are keywords.
Users submit the keywords to the objects.

Currently, I chose to keep a hit count on the keywords, so if a duplicate
keyword is supplied, a counter is incremented.

I thought this was a good idea, as it keeps the number of rows in the
keywords table to a minimum.

However, this is a user login based system, and with the above, I lose the
ability to track which users sent in which keywords.
Why do you need this info? Is there a reporting need or something else
you need to keep this information for? Ie when are you going to need to
know who inserted a particular keyword?

Because it is a semi-public system, every user is allowed to supply keywords
to other users objects.  If some not so nice person decides to paste in a
list of words to 'game' that object up the ranks, I want to know who, and be
able to take action.

So you're not going to reference the data that much, so size of the table (and speed) isn't going to be a huge issue.

Keeping a keywordid -> userid table will work pretty well I think.