Hello all,

I'm running MySQL on SuSE Linux 7.0.

I've been unable to connect to MySQL from a client on a remote system (both
systems behind the firewall) using a username/pw set up locally using the
GRANT ALL ON *.* TO user@% identified by "password" command.

I know this is a big security hole to grant universal permissions in this
way, but I'm just trying to connect from anywhere else but locally, which i
can do.

When trying to connect, I get the "host malacoda.local is not allowed to
connect to this MySQL server". Malacoda.local being the remote system that
is set up in the local hosts file on the Linux system.

It's my understanding that setting up universal access using the grant
command will allow my to connect from anywhere regardless of host name or IP
addresss.

Is there any other place, port setting, etc. I need to configure to get this
darned thing to work?

Best,

Peter Bethke