Sinisa,

In the first case I was trying to connect to the Linux box using a MySQL
client on the Mac called MacSQL. This box is called malacoda.local.

I'm still getting the same error, trying to connect from a mysql client on
my NT system, called lucifer.local, to a server on Linux. I get Error 1130
Host "lucifier.local' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server".

Is this message being sent back from the MySQL server per se or is it just a
standard error, which would be sent even if there was no connection at all?

I used the new syntax you sent me, and am logged in to NT as the user in the
GRANT statement.

Help!

Peter