Philip Hallstrom wrote:
>> 6) When it comes to scaling MySQL and the use of load-balancing, what
>> do you
>> feel is a technology that is missing that the MySQL community should
>> create?
>> (I.e. perhaps some new technical item in the MySQL database server
>> software, or
>> something on the load-balancing technology side)
>
> Something similar to pgpool that can automatically redirect writes to
> the master and reads to a pool of slaves.
>
> http://pgpool.projects.postgresql.org/
>
> If that already exists and you know about it, link please! :)

pgpool is a connection pool server for PostgreSQL. pgpool runs between
PostgreSQL's clients(front ends) and servers(back ends).

Well there are a few solutions out there.

The first comparable product for MySQL is MySQL Proxy.
  http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/MySQL_Proxy

There is the C-JDBC solution, now known as Sequoia.
It was a project of ObjectWeb, now known as OW2
Now it is a part of the Continuent technology line as an Apache 2 licensed Open
Source solution.
    https://forge.continuent.org/projects/sequoia

You can read about some other options in an article I wrote on the MySQL
Developer Zone.
MySQL Failover Strategy using State Management, introducing MPP - Part 1
    http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/failover-strategy-part1.html

Thanks for your feedback.
If you happen to remember the name of the hardware load balancer you used, I
would sure be interested to know the name.

-RG