Hey all,

So I decided to start fresh on a test machine just to see if I could get french characters working.
These are my steps:

Freshly Installed Mysql 5.0.45
Configure the MySql Server now
Detailed Configuration
Developer Machine
Multifunctional Database
Online Transaction Processing
Enable TCP/IP Networking and Enable Strinct Mode
Best Support for Multilingualism
Install as Windows Service

Created a DB
CREATE DATABASE testdb
   CHARACTER SET 'utf8'
   COLLATE 'utf8_general_ci';

Created a table:
CREATE TABLE `testtable` (
`id` INTEGER(11) NOT NULL,
`textfield` mediumtext,
PRIMARY KEY (`id`))TYPE=InnoDB CHARACTER SET 'utf8' COLLATE 'utf8_general_ci';

SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'char%' produced all utf8

Trying INSERT INTO `testtable` VALUES (1,'é û ê à è'); produced incorrect string value

DID: SET NAMES utf8; SET CHARACTER SET utf8;

Trying INSERT INTO `testtable` VALUES (1,'é û ê à è'); produced incorrect string value

Replaced: sql-mode="STRICT_TRANS_TABLES,NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION" with: sql-mode="NO_AUTO_CREATE_USER,NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION" in the my.ini file
restarted mysql

Tried INSERT INTO `testtable` VALUES (1,'é û ê à è'); and was accepted

Select returned nothing in the textfield field

Tried SET NAMES utf8; SET CHARACTER SET utf8;
INSERT INTO `testtable` VALUES (1,'é û ê à è');

again select returned nothing in the texfield field.

Can someone PLEASE explain as to what I am doing wrong and why I cannot get french characters working in mysql 5??

Thanks
--James