On Nov 13, 2007 2:11 PM, Naufal Sheikh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Few conceptual questions which I can't understand. If any one can
> please gimme a a quicky!
>
> Am I correct when I say that "mysqldump' only works when the database
> is up and running? and if it is true can any one please tell me that
> does taking a dump when a database is running is ok. Also the whats
> the difference in usage of mysqldump and taking just the backup of the
> database.
>
> Regards
> Naufal

Yes, mysqldump is just a specialized client for MySQL, it performs all
of it's operations through a server.

Whereas a raw file dump is, well, a raw file dump, mysqldump generates
SQL scripts which will recreate your databases, tables and data when
piped in to a simple command line client thus:

mysqldump -h localhost -u user -p mydatabase > mydatabase.sql

then, it may be recreated

mysql -h otherserver -u user -p databasewhichexists < mydatabase.sql

(command line examples are for *nix, but windows variants exist)

 - michael dykman

--
 - michael dykman
 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]

 - All models are wrong.  Some models are useful.