I wrote this Nagios (http://nagios.org/ - a monitoring tool) specific Perl plugin a few years ago, but you can easily use it for your needs. The version I have online does not support mysql 5.0+ but that is easily remedied..

info;
        http://www.byveka.com/files/README.check_replic
script;
        http://www.byveka.com/files/check_replic