On 03-Jun-01 mysql list wrote:
> In my UNIX (FreeBSD) system the database directories
> shows up as below.
> drwx------  2 mysql  mysql    512 May 11 11:51 mysql
> drwx------  2 mysql  mysql    512 May 11 22:40 test
>
> I guess this means I should only start mysql server by
> being the user mysql. But how can I become the user
> mysql?

You don't.

FreeBSD installs a start-up script in
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mysql-server.sh

This starts the daemon on boot, to start it manually, su to root, then:

# cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d
# sh mysql-server.sh start

Regards,
--
Don Read                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-- It's always darkest before the dawn. So if you are going to