David T. Ashley wrote:
Hi Chris,

OK, I will try that.  Thanks for the help.

My assumption in reading your original post was that you didn't understand
what I wanted to do (but you did).

In order for me to use the solution you have proposed, in addition to
working, this behavior would have to be described in the MySQL manual.  The
reason is that this seems to be the kind of behavior that could change from
version to version.

<BEGIN IMPORTANT POINT>
I don't suppose you know the section in the manual that defines the behavior
you're describing?
<END IMPORTANT POINT>
From '3.6.9. Using AUTO_INCREMENT'

"For MyISAM and BDB tables you can specify AUTO_INCREMENT on a secondary column in a multiplecolumn index. In this case, the generated value for the AUTO_INCREMENT column is calculated as MAX(auto_increment_column) + 1 WHERE prefix=given-prefix. This is useful when
you want to put data into ordered groups."

I didn't know it only worked in MyISAM and BDB... I almost always use MyISAM anyway. However I don't use that feature anymore due to my change in thinking on primary keys. The only time I use a primary key that has more than one field is if the table is a "many to many relationship" table and in that case neither field is auto increment.

--
Chris W
KE5GIX

"Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM, learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm";