Hi Martin,

The easiest way to restore context in this conversation is to go to the
MySQL home page (www.mysql.com), then go to "Community", then "Lists", then
to look at the archives of the main MySQL mailing list (this one).

I believe at this point that Chris and Stut answered my question
decisively.  They both gave me single-query methods of achieving the
behavior that I want.

Thanks to all ...

Dave.