From: Jason Vinar [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, January 09, 2008 10:17 AM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Red Hat EL and Datbase Setup

Hi,

I am looking for a little advice in setting up Red Hat and MySQL for a
large
database (at least I consider it to be large).  My database will contain
2
large tables that are updated daily.  The first table currenly has 19
million records and ~70 columns largely made up of varchar(20), char(5)
and
integers.  It has a natural primary key and a composite index on 3 of
the
character columns.  The second table currently has 400 million records
and
~30 columns again made up of varchar(20), char(5) and integers.  This
table's primary key is defined using 2 columns and also has a composite
index on the same 3 columns as the first table.  Lastly, I will
frequently
join the two tables in my queries.

My system has 4gb ram, 500 gb hard drive (result of a RAID 5
configuration)
and 2 dual core Intel 64 bit procs.  I have chosen to use Red Hat EL5.

Here are the questions I have to help optimize the performance:
* Should I continue with the RAID 5?  I am not too concerned of
recovery.  I
am more concerned about I/O performance.
* Is there a hard drive partition scheme that would help the performance
(separate the large db schema /var/lib/mysql/schema_name)?
* Should I partition the tables?  There is a natural partition for the
400m
table by date; there is not a natural partition for the other. Should I
make
one up?
* Are there specific additions to the /etc/my.cnf that I should add to
maximize the systems capabilities?
* Please let me know of other things I should consider.

Thanks in advance, Jason

This message and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
addressed. It may contain sensitive and private proprietary or legally
privileged information. No confidentiality or privilege is waived or
lost by any mistransmission. If you are not the intended recipient,
please immediately delete it and all copies of it from your system,
destroy any hard copies of it and notify the sender. You must not,
directly or indirectly, use, disclose, distribute, print, or copy any
part of this message if you are not the intended recipient.
FXDirectDealer, LLC reserves the right to monitor all e-mail
communications through its networks. Any views expressed in this
message are those of the individual sender, except where the
message states otherwise and the sender is authorized to state them.

Unless otherwise stated, any pricing information given in this message
is indicative only, is subject to change and does not constitute an
offer to deal at any price quoted. Any reference to the terms of
executed transactions should be treated as preliminary only and subject
to our formal confirmation. FXDirectDealer, LLC is not responsible for any
recommendation, solicitation, offer or agreement or any information
about any transaction, customer account or account activity contained in
this communication.