I am new to MySQL, and wonder if I have done something terribly stupid.  I
have an InnoDB table with 27 million rows.  Without thinking very much, I
issued the following command through the GUI administration tool:

ALTER TABLE `wyky`.`externallinks` ADD COLUMN `el_p2` BLOB  NOT NULL AFTER
`el_index`,
 ADD INDEX `el_p2`(`el_p2`(150))

Of course, all the values in this column will be the same.  The index
will, if this ever completes, indicate that one value is associated with
all 27E6 rows.  My primary question is, will this take O(27E6) time or
something worse (e.g., O(27E6 squared) time)?

Of course my plan is to eventually put some interesting data in that new
column.  I do not really need the index until the data is there.

This database is not being used on-line, this is just for study, so I do
not mind large batch operations.  I just don't want to be grossly stupid
in my choice of batch operations.

My second question is: if I have indeed done something grossly stupid,
what is the best (if there is any at all!) way to interrupt it and
proceed.

I am running MySQL 5.0.51a-community on RHEL 4, storage on one local disk.

Thanks!
Mike