""Daniel Brown"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 12:13 AM, Michael Hemer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>>  I have been researching to see if it's possible to have a MySQL database
>> with it's data files on a cd-rom, but could use some help to determine if
>> I have found out the full truth of what's possible.  I would appreciate
>> any additional info people have to offer.
>
>    The simple answer is yes.  Data is data, regardless of how and
> where it's stored.

Even though I tend to agree that data is data, the how and where does seem
to be important.  So far my testing indicates that the approach used by the
storage engine does make a difference.  So far it appears that InnoDB, CSV,
and Archive require write access to either the data files, or the directory
in which the data files reside.  It's possible that I've overlooked
configuration options that would make it work, but I have tried many
different configurations with no success.  So far, MyISAM is the only one
that I've had success with reading the data from a CD.

>    However, a more truthful answer uncovers some complexities,
> including the speed at which the data can be transferred from the CD
> (which will be slower than direct access from a hard drive), as well
> as the version limitations.  If the MySQL databases on the CD are, for
> example, in MySQL 5.x format, but your end-user is still using MySQL
> 3.23, it's not going to work.  Also, there will need to be some
> configuration variables modified on each end-user system so that the
> MySQL server knows where to locate the CD databases (and then the
> server will need to be restarted, as well).

I definitely agree that data on CD will be slower to read than on a hard
drive.  I also agree that details like the version used will need to be kept
the same from computer to computer.  For my scenario though, I am more
concerned with being able to leave the data on the CD and not needing to
copy it to the local hard drive, than I am about performance and
standardization issues.

>    So to summarize, it can be done, but don't expect it to be a
> point-click-send operation; there are going to be some bumps in the
> road.

I have found that it can be done using MyISAM, but so far it appears to me
that it is not possible with InnoDB, CSV, or Archive.  I will continue to
experiment with any configuration options that I can find that I haven't
already tried, but so far it's not looking feasible for every storage
engine.  If you think of any configuration options that you know will make
this work with InnoDB, CSV, or Archive, please let me know.

Thanks,
Michael