Greetings Andrew,

Make sure you have granted access to your user: (run command line)
mysql> GRANT ALL ON databaseName.* TO 'your_mysql_name'@'your_client_host';

Sincerely,

Craig Huffstetler

P.S. - What version of MySQL, what operating system and are you using the
command line (I was assuming you are familiar with the command line)...the
command above is to be run via the command line.