Thanks for your reply.  When I do show grants, I get back

GRANT SHOW DATABASES, CREATE TEMPORARY TABLES, LOCK TABLES ON *.* TO 'super' @
'localhost' ( mailto:super'@ 'localhost' ) identified by password.......

So it looks like super doesn't have rights to select from the hr table.  But
why not? According to the tables_priv table, super should have right to select.

I tried giving the command (as root)
grant select on web_positions.hr to [EMAIL PROTECTED] identified by .....
I get back
ERROR 2013 (HY000): Lost connection to MySQL server during query

I can give any other command but when I try to give the grant command I keep
getting the same error.

Malka Cymbalista
Webmaster, Weizmann Institute of Science
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
08-934-3036

>>> On 3/18/2008 at 3:20 PM, in message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Baron Schwartz"
>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 8:49 AM, Malka Cymbalista
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> We are currently running MySQL 4.0.15a on a Sun Solaris server.  We are
> moving to a Linux machine running MySQL 5.0.45.
>  I am having a problem with permissions in MySQL.
>
>  On the current machine running 4.0.15a, when I connect to MySQL as the user
> super and give the command:
>  select lname from hr where fname = "shlomit";
>  I get the expected result.
>
>  On the new machine running MySQL 5.0.45, when I connect as the user super
> and give the same command, I get the following error:
>  ERROR 1142 (42000): SELECT command denied to user 'super'@'localhost' for
> table 'hr'
>
>  The MySQL permissions are the same on both machines.  When I give the
> following command:
>  select * from tables_priv where user="super" and db ="web_positions" and
> table_name = "hr";
>  I get the following result on both machines:
>  | Host | Db                 | User  | Table_name | Grantor     | Timestamp
>                | Table_priv | Column_priv
>
> +------+---------------+-------+------------+----------------+---------------------+------------+-------------+
>  | %    | web_positions | super | hr           | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |
> 2002-07-21 15:07:17 | Select     |             |
>
>  When I give the following command, I aslo get the same results on both
> machines:
>  select * from user where user ="super";
>  The results are N for all the different privileges.
>
>  Has anything changed in MySQL 5.0.45 that would cause this behavior?

Probably not.  You are probably not logged in as the user you think
you are.  Instead of checking privileges by selecting from the mysql
system tables, use SHOW GRANTS to see what your privileges are and who
you're logged in as.