According to what?

From what you can read in Robert Sheldon "SQL: A Beginner's Guide", page 35:

"As you might have noticed, nowhere in the structure of the SQL environment or
a catalog is there

mention of a database. The reason for this is that nowhere in the SQL:1999
standard is the term

database defined."

And from the rapid look I gave at the SQL:1999 standard he is right.

Claudio Nanni

________________________________

Da: Moon's Father [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Inviato: lunedì 7 aprile 2008 10.24
A: Nanni Claudio
Cc: Thufir; mysql@lists.mysql.com
Oggetto: Re: R: Re: FW: Re: what is a schema? what is a database?

Schema is a collection of databases.

On Fri, Mar 28, 2008 at 6:00 PM, Nanni Claudio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I know I am a little late.
From my experience with Oracle Database:

ORACLE          MYSQL(equivalent)
DATABASE                MYSQL INSTALLATION
SCHEMA          DATABASE

So in Oracle a Database is an instance running on an Oracle installation,
While with MySQL you need different installations to have different
instances(mysqld).
In my opinion Oracle naming approach is more correct, if you consider a
Database as a RDBMS, anyway, MYSQL IS GREAT!

Aloha!

Claudio Nanni