Hi !

Martin Gainty wrote:
my understanding is that Namespace is a defined grouping of classes
http://m5.eecs.umich.edu/docs/namespaceMySQL.html

My use of the term "name space" was much more generic, similar to how compilers use it:

When you define a record type (C: "struct", Pascal: "record", ...), you create (and enter) a new name space, the field names are valid within that record type only, and different record types can have fields with identical names without conflict.

Similar each function (procedure, subroutine, ...) opens a new name space for its own local variables.

Within SQL, each "CREATE TABLE" opens a new name space: column names are valid within that table only, and different tables may use the same name for different columns. (Yes, I know you can omit "table." in a SQL statement if the column name is unique among the tables in that statement - you get the idea.)

And similar, a "schema" in that ANSI SQL standard opened a name space for tables and views, and AFAIR that was its only purpose. (No, I will not try to dig up that standard - its "schema" concept had no practical relevance in products back then.)

Jörg

MySQL AB, www.mysql.com