Thanks,

This is for the unanswered list of questions, so the output list (not the list stored in the mysql database) should never go over 100.

by scalable, do you mean alot of ressources being used or a long wait for the answer? Because I belive I Could just use a simple limit if I needed to have a limited number of results on one page.

Every time a question is answered the update date will change, and the status could also change. So I don't see how to easily do this by creating another table.

Ben Clewett a écrit :
Richard,

No problem, glad it works. But note: this is not scalable. If you have more than a few hundred rows, you may want to think about a better solution, like storing the order field permanetly and giving it an index :)

Ben

Richard wrote:
Thanks, it works like a charm :)

Ben Clewett a écrit :
A modification to my last email, try:

SELECT
  *, IF(update != '', update + 10, date) AS o
FROM
  my_table
ORDER BY o DESC;

+-----+------+--------+------+
| num | date | update | o    |
+-----+------+--------+------+
|   5 |   40 |     90 |  100 |
|   2 |   10 |     60 |   70 |
|   6 |   50 |        |   50 |
|   4 |   30 |        |   30 |
|   3 |   20 |        |   20 |
|   1 |    1 |        |    1 |
+-----+------+--------+------+

Richard wrote:
Thanks,

I think that your solution will be sufficient for my needs, however I would still like to know for my personal knowledge how to manage correctly this kind of need.

And to make it more complicated I've just rearlised that there is another element to take into account, I would need to add 10 days to the update dates so they would place themselves in the correct position.

This is how I need the system to work :

Any new requests (without an update value) are ordered by date
I want to be able to answer these requests (adding a time stamp to the update field and if the customer does not answer within 10 days, to re insert them into the list.

But as the update timestamp will be 10 days old, I would like to add 10 days to the update while inserting them to the list (not changing the actual value inserted in the database just add 10 days during the reordering process.). I hope my explanation in understadable ...

:)

Rafael Barbolo Lopes a écrit :
Can't you do Something like:

ORDER BY (update,date)

The major column of ordering would be update and the second date.

I'm not sure about this "solution"