On Tue, 5 Jun 2001, Mike Mike wrote:

> I was wondering if inserting 307,284 is to much to put
> into one table. Can MySQL handle this? Its a 70MEG

Yes. This is not so much at all.

> File.  I have a 550 with 256MEG ram but it only shows
> 64.  I don't know how to make it show 256 and running
> redhat 6.1. The table has 12 colums and does not have

This is uaually prblem in hardware but can also be problem of old linux
kernel. Add into file /etc/lilo.conf such line:

append="mem=256M"

and rerun lilo. After reboot you should have 256M accessible. Some
computers need to use something bit less like mem=250M or similar or they
crash.

> much data in each record.  My question is should I
> break this up into a couple of tables so that each
> table will have say 50,000 records and I can just
> search through them with dates.
> Thanks for any help.

Read manual about both optimization and MERGE tables.

   Tonu