If Linux works the same way as HP-UX (and it should), anything you do to an
open file (including deleting it) has no effect until the file is closed. The
MySQL server is still using the "old" file. The next time it stops and
restarts, it will follow the symlink. I don't know what the effect of
accessing a "stale" copy of the file will do.

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
195 Farmington Ave.
Farmington, CT 06032