Mark,

When you try to log-in to the new instance, are you specifying the new port number to the client? If you don't give it the new port number, then it will connect to the default port, which is presumably your 4.0.20 instance.

Mark-E wrote:
I have a Solaris box where MySQL 4.0.20 instance is running (to support
Bugzilla 2.22). I have loaded mysql5.0 on the same box (for Bugzilla 3.0.3)
and created a new mysql50 user that I want to use to run this instance with.
I tried to start the instance on another port by running the following
command...

./bin/mysqld_safe --defaults-file=/usr/local/mysql-5.0/my.cnf
--socket=/tmp/mysql50/mysql.sock --port=3307 --basedir=/usr/local/mysql-5.0
--datadir=/usr/local/mysql-5.0/data
--pid-file=/usr/local/mysql-5.0/mysql50.pid --user=mysql50

The instance appears to start but the message "Starting the instance" comes
up and I never get back to the system prompt. it just sits there. If I open
another terminal window and do a ps -ef | grep mysql, I can see the new
processes running. There is nothing in the error log.
I ran the mysql_install_db.sh script to create the mysql database however, I
cannot log in. I thought that it creates a root user with no password. I
tired logging in as root with no password bu no luck. If i use the mysql
4.0.20 root user password, I get into the 4.0.20 instance even though the
mysql50 user does not have mysql 4.0.20 in it's path. when I run mysql at
the prompt, how would I differentiate between the 2 instances?

So at this point I am stuck. If anyone out can help guide me on what I need
to do to ge tthe instance up and running properly, I would appreciate it. I
am rather new to MySQL and I have read through the docs but things are still
not very clear.

Thanks!
Mark