Hi Arthur,
   Sure, no problem!

This actually proved to be rather tricky because the first instance was
installed in /usr/local/mysql. It seems that by default, MySQL looks for things
in this locations so if you deviate from it, you have to be explicit with mysql
and tell it where to look for things.  My new MySQL 50 instance had to run
alongside the 4.0.20 instance so I installed it into /usr/local/mysql-50

** Here is a summary of things I had to do to bring this up properly **

I created a my.cnf and put it in /usr/local/mysql-50

In the my.cnf, I defined the following (The first entry is for the mysql
program and the 2nd entry is for the mysqld program).

[mysql]
socket=/tmp/mysql50/mysql.sock
port=3307

[mysqld]
user=mysql5
pid-file=/usr/local/mysql-50/mysql50.pid
log=/usr/local/mysql-50/mysql50d.log
port=3307
max_allowed_packet=32M   <== I had to set this so I could import the MySQL
4.0.20 database properly. Some users may not need this set as high.
socket=/tmp/mysql50/mysql.sock

#Path to installation directory. All paths are usually resolved relative to
this.
basedir="/usr/local/mysql-50"

#Path to the database root
datadir="/usr/local/mysql-50/data"

You have to be careful to not only pick a separate port, but also a separate
pid file for the process ID and a separate socket file, especially if you are
running both instance at the same time.

I modified the mysql.server in the /support-files folder. I had to set the
basedir and the datadir. I then copied this to the /bin folder.

I edited the mysql_install_db file in the /scripts folder and set the basedir
and datadir. I then ran that to create the mysql database.

As root, I started the server  ./bin/mysql.server start (The server starts up
:) ). Since the user mysql50 is defined in this script, it then starts mysqld
as the mysql50 user.

Now, the tricky part, to run mysql and access the mysql database, you cannot
just say mysql -u root -p mysql, it will try to connect to the default instance
in /usr/local/mysql.
What you have to do is:

Mysql --defaults-file=/usr/local/mysql-50/my.cnf -u root -p mysql

This now properly connects to the new mysql50 instance. Also, if you want to
run mysqladmin, you need to specify the --defaults-file option.  Make sure
wherever you use the --defaults-file option that it is the FIRST command line
option used.

It took me quite some time to get this all working but now, I understand MySQL
much better. I hope this proves to be some help to you and others out there who
may be going through the same thing.

Regards,
Mark