De: Rene Fournier [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Enviado el: domingo 27 de abril de 2008 23:57
Para: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Asunto: Optimal MySQL server -- opinions?

Okay, the previous subject was too narrow, what I am really looking
for are opinions on general disk/memory/cpu configurations,
manufacturer notwithstanding...

As stated previously, I'm configuring a PowerEdge 2950III, and trying
to decide what will provide the best bang-for-buck. The server will be
used strictly as a MySQL database server running atop Red Hat Linux.
Two large databases, each about 2GB, heavy on both Inserts and Selects.

Up until recently, I had spec'd:

2 x Quad-Core Xeon 5430 @ 2.66 GHz (6 MB cache) , 1333 MHz FSB 8 GB Ram
(4x2GB) 4 x 146 GB 15K SAS drives (RAID 1/1 -- first set for OS, apps,
second
set for MySQL data)

...worked out to around $5,500. Now however there is a processor
promotion, such that:

1 x Quad-Core Xeon 5450 @ 3.0 GHz (6 MB cache) , 1333 MHz FSB
8 GB Ram (4x2GB)
4 x 146 GB 15K SAS drives (RAID 1/1 -- first set for OS, apps, second
set for MySQL data)

...works out to around $4,500. So what I'm wondering is, do I really
need an eight-core box, since my experience tells me that MySQL's
greatest bottleneck is disk I/O. I'm wondering if I would be better
off with just one processor to start with (are they easy to add later,
btw?), maybe add more RAM, and just save some cash.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated. I have to pull the
trigger on this soon. I was hoping they would bump the specs or drop
the prices significantly... I've been watching these for months and
there's been promo after promo... I anticipate a major update, has
anyone heard anything? (Should I wait a little longer maybe?)

Thanks.

...Rene

Antes de imprimir este e-mail piense bien si es necesario hacerlo.

Antes de imprimir este e-mail piense bien si es necesario hacerlo.

*********
Este mensaje es privado y CONFIDENCIAL y se dirige exclusivamente a su
destinatario. Si usted ha recibido este mensaje por error, no debe revelar,
copiar, distribuir o usarlo en ningun sentido. Le rogamos lo comunique al
remitente y borre dicho mensaje y cualquier documento adjunto que pudiera
contener. El correo electronico via Internet no permite asegurar la
confidencialidad de los mensajes que se transmiten ni su integridad o correcta
recepcion. JAZZTEL no asume responsabilidad por estas circunstancias. Si el
destinatario de este mensaje no consintiera la utilizacion del correo
electronico via Internet y la grabacion de los mensajes, rogamos lo ponga en
nuestro conocimiento de forma inmediata.Cualquier opinion expresada en este
mensaje pertenece unicamente al autor remitente, y no representa necesariamente
la opinion de JAZZTEL, a no ser que expresamente se diga y el remitente este
autorizado para hacerlo.
*********
This message is private and CONFIDENTIAL and it is intended exclusively for its
addressee. If you receive this message in error, you should not disclose, copy,
distribute this e-mail or use it in any other way. Please inform the sender and
delete the message and attachments from your system.Internet e-mail neither
guarantees the confidentiality nor the integrity or proper receipt of the
messages sent. JAZZTEL does not assume any liability for those circumstances.
If the addressee of this message does not consent to the use of Internet e-mail
and message recording, please notify us immediately.Any views or opinions
contained in this message are solely those of the author, and do not
necessarily represent those of JAZZTEL, unless otherwise specifically stated
and the sender is authorised to do so.
*********