A week or so ago I explored this in depth because I was having the same
problems. (It was affecting an English file that had some Windows (CP-1252)
characters that didn't directly map to UTF-8. That message is at
http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/212392. I didn't mention it in my posting, but
latin1 is CP-1252. I couldn't get that to work, either.

I don't know how it would apply directly to your situation, but I think you
are running into a similar kind of problem. I also can't guarantee that my
conclusions were entirely correct.

Perhaps someone else can add to this.

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz