On Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Jerry Schwartz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
A week or so ago I explored this in depth because I was having the
same problems. (It was affecting an English file that had some
Windows (CP-1252) characters that didn't directly map to UTF-8. That
message is at http://lists.mysql.com/mysql/212392. I didn't mention
it in my posting, but latin1 is CP-1252. I couldn't get that to
work, either.

Latin-1 is not Microsoft Windows codepage 1252: Latin-1 has control
characters in the 0x80 - 0x9F block of code points, but 1252 replaces
some of those code points with printable characters.

--
Tim McDaniel, [EMAIL PROTECTED]