Waynn Lue wrote:
I'm trying to figure out if the fact that the charset
is set to latin1 is the reason why.

It shouldn't be. The registered trademark symbol is code point 0xAE in ISO 8859-1 according to the 'pedia:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_8859-1

So, it would seem that your data source isn't giving you 8859-1.  GIGO.

iconv
This was mentioned somewhere, but no one had a concrete implementation.

There's a command line tool by that name that converts text between character sets, but I don't see how that applies here. You could use it to convert a dump file, but you're already on record as not wanting to do that, so...

I assume I should check if my mysql has support for UTF-8,

I believe it just has to be 4.1 or newer. And, that's only necessary so you can get UTF-8 aware sorting and such. You don't need any special support to just _store_ UTF-8 data.