Neil

Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 07:21:04 -0400From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL
PROTECTED]: Re: Query execution time - MySQLCC: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Niel,Not much
detail there (but I'll go off what you provided...). Some people limit the
actual MySQL system for times it TAKES MySQL to execute queries. For THIS to be
accomplished, MySQL has built-in functionality to measure the time is takes
queries to take place so it can ... limit them. So, in essence, I guess we can
extract that data and get it back to you for whatever usage statistic you are
looking to measure. ( See:
http://www.bigresource.com/MYSQL-what-is-execution-time-of-a-query-based-on-was-a-mysql-question--0PxW0B3P.html
 ) or for usage in JDBC by calling the setQueryTimeout() function of a
Statement object...and so forth.HOWEVER - Just so you know, if you execute the
query MANUALLY via the command-line of MySQL it will tell you how long the
query took. Just use normal SQL syntax, execute
the query on the table and VOILA! Your answer:mysql queryormysqlrun the query
(use the below quoted/threaded example as a starting place to write your own
query...?)Take a look at this thread (it basically explains the answer with a
bit more detail on what the output will
be):http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?108,51989,142404#msg-142404
SELECT * FROM user_log; 15113 rows fetched in 5.3274s (0.1498s) SELECT
BENCHMARK(100000000, RAND()); 1 row fetched in 0.0505s (13.2676s) I believe the
results are the following: The first number is the time it took MySQL server to
send the result set to the client. The second number (in parens) is the time it
took MySQL server to execute the query itself.
TOTAL TIME will EQUAL A + B (for total time it took on your server/P.C. or
wherever you are running the query...). Many things come into factoring why it
takes longer or shorter. So this is why I asked if you are attempting to optimize
or what not, but that is whole new story. (( ----> What Operating System are
you running? This would be helpful to give you the step-by-step, so to speak. Or
perhaps provide us with a bit more information***Also, if you are looking to
perhaps make it so queries take shorter times (optimization effort) to execute a
little bit more about your MySQL database setup and machine(s) would be beneficial
to us as well. ))Let me know if you have any questions.Standing by and I hope this
helped you.Sincerely,Craig Huffstetlerxq on FreeNode #mysql | #apache