Les Schaffer schrieb:
We are having a small technical glitch about which we would like to have some insight:

our application needs to start mysqld-nt as a Windows service after which we fairly quickly try to make connections to the Server. we are using the python wrappers, MySQLdb, and we successfully bring up the service 99.9% of the time. this means we get win32service.SERVICE_RUNNING before trying to make connections. and most other times, we have no problem making connections immediately after SERVICE_RUNNING is achieved.

however, if we try to start the app right after Windows XP boots, or if XP has been sitting idle for a long while after the service had been brought up and down, we get OperationalError 2003, can't connect to server. when i check the server logs, i see that Windows ServiceManager tells us that we are SERVICE_RUNNING several seconds before the log says " ... mysqld-nt.exe: ready for connections ".

we could put a 4-6 seconds on the connect_timeout, but we would like to at least understand what we are seeing. are there other states the ServiceManager would report for mysqld-nt, or are we limited to STOPPED/STARTING/RUNNING/STOPPING?

more to the point, what determines the time delay between SERVICE_RUNNING and " ... mysqld-nt.exe: ready for connections " and is there a tried and true way to detect "ready for connections" without simply making a connection attempt???

did you take a look add the MySQL log?
there you can see what MySQL is doing, with times

you could also prioritize background processes instead of desktop processes to speedup MySQL start

--
Sebastian Mendel