Hi Les, all,

sorry - I attended to other things more than to this thread.

Les Schaffer wrote:
Joerg Bruehe wrote:

I assume Windows reports the status as "running" when the process(es) got started, but that doesn't necessary imply they have passed their own initialization / startup phase.

I doubt there is any external event (say, a file creation or some such) that Windows would monitor and check before reporting it as "running".

the MySQL server log does contain a statement:

080605 23:29:12  InnoDB: Started; log sequence number 0 5087217
080605 23:29:14 [Note] C:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.0\bin\mysqld-nt.exe: ready for connections.

so the server does "announce" to the log.  now here is from our own logs:

Yes, it does announce.
I wrote "any external event ... that Windows *would* monitor" (emphasis added): Does the Windows ServiceManager really know which file to monitor for which entry to announce the service as "running" ?

2008-06-05 23:28:57 windowsservice 156 INFO     Starting service MySQL
2008-06-05 23:29:02 sql 102 CRITICAL MySQL OperationalError 2003 (2003, "Can't connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)")

in practice we find the service comes up to RUNNING within several seconds of when we announce its being started. this is the longest delay between RUNNING and ready-to-accept we have seen so far in testing, on the order of 10 seconds.

I perfectly understand this delay is bad for you.

[[...]]

If there is something visible externally, I don't know it - hope our Windows experts might have a hint.

Windows ServiceManager reports the service state as in either STARTING or RUNNING. i don't know what the details are of the communication between the ServiceManager and and mysqld-nt, but if mysqld-nt reported itself as RUNNING (and not STARTING) only when its ready to accept connections, that would be fine with us ;-)

I should have written my disclaimer much earlier: I am no Windows user.

If you find some documentation telling how the MySQL server could tell the Windows ServiceManager that it is now really ready to accept connections, then please file a bug (feature request) with a pointer to that info.

For now, I assume the ServiceManager just monitors whether a process is running, and so an unknown time for the initialization phase cannot be handled exactly.

thanks for your note.

You are welcome,
Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe,  MySQL Build Team,  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sun Microsystems GmbH,   Sonnenallee 1,   D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten