Jerry Schwartz wrote:
File system, or disk caching, uses some kind of algorithm to hold chunks of
files in system RAM. That way a program can get to it more quickly than if
it had to go out to the disk. The algorithms vary, depending upon the smarts
of the program and the smarts of the file system. The system might keep the
most recently used stuff, the most frequently used stuff, even the stuff it
thinks you will need based upon the pattern of use.

Regards,
<snip>

Hi Jerry

Thanks for the explanation.

So, in short, I am most likely hitting a wall with the fulltext index, and I am just getting lucky cos of the disk caching, but I am not going to be able to get away from that initial slow load...rats.