At 02:20 PM 6/12/2008, you wrote:
Hi List

I have a table with a fulltext index across five fields, with about 2.2 million records and a data size of about 5.6 GB (index another 3.5 GB). When I test a query that uses fulltext matching, the first run takes about 15-16 seconds to complete. The second run takes about 0.1 sec and subsequent runs will all all ge around the 0.1 sec time.

The query that I use has a call to NOW() as one of the criteria, so i know that the query results will not be cached. Yet, the times would suggest that some sort of caching effect is being observed.

Is there something I can do that can return more consistent query performance - hopefully with a time somewhere between the two extremes?

Why not switch to Sphinx full text search for MySQL? It is faster and can handle more data than MySQL's built in fulltext search. http://www.sphinxsearch.com/

Mike