Boyd, Todd M. wrote:

>> My concern is whether the time_zone_id is a fixed reference of the
>> timezone.  If the id might (for whatever reason) change in the
>> future, I'd have to store the timezone name.
>
> http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/time-zone-support.html
>
> You can convert back and forth using the system's time zone table.
> Read the MySQL manual I've linked to above for more information.

I am using just that, and I have also read the manual on the subject,
but nonetheless I have to store the time-zone identifier somewhere and
in some form.

> Apparently, you can even reference them by offset from UTC (i.e.,
> -6:00 for US Central). The article warns against using the time zone's
> text description, but I saw nothing about dangers of offsets or
> time_zone_id.

Yeah, in fact that article doesn't even mention the time_zone_id, which
is why I'm hesitant using it as a definite reference to a time zone.
I'd prefer not to use offset, as I would loose the little bit of
geographical info then. ('Europe/Zurich' has the same offset
as 'Europe/Copenhagen').  For now I'm storing the name of the timezone,
but the manual is clearly lacking some info in this respect.

/Per Jessen, Zürich