Do you login via sock or network ?
Didja change the passwd for localhost and % ?

------Original Message------
From: Jesse
To: MySQL List
Sent: Jul 21, 2008 17:35
Subject: Access denied for user 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost'

OK. This is driving me Nutz 8-p

Any time I try to restart mysql, I get the error, "Access denied for user
'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost'"

My understanding is that the password for the debian-sys-maint user is found
in /etc/mysql/debian.cnf  So, I edit that, and note the password.

I then execute the following in MySQL (with the correct password, of
course):
GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY
PASSWORD 'LongPasswordHere' WITH GRANT OPTION

To test it out, I try a mysql -u debian-sys-maint -p, type in the password
and get the "Access denied" error again.  What's going on? Why can't I get
this to work?

Jesse