Hi Jesse,

If you're specifying the password in plain text, you shouldn't put the
PASSWORD directive in there; you only use PASSWORD if you're using the
hashed password that MySQL will actually store.

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED
BY 'LongPasswordHere' WITH GRANT OPTION

or

GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO 'debian-sys-maint'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED
BY PASSWORD 'HexadecimalString' WITH GRANT OPTION

Also, you will need to execute FLUSH PRIVILEGES once you're done, since
MySQL normally only checks the privilege tables on start-up.

--
Ian Simpson
System Administrator

This email may contain confidential information and is intended for the
recipient(s) only. If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this
email, please notify the author by replying to this email. If you are not the
intended recipient(s) disclosure, distribution, copying or printing of this
email is strictly prohibited and you should destroy this mail. Information or
opinions in this message shall not be treated as neither given nor endorsed by
the company. Neither the company nor the sender accepts any responsibility for
viruses or other destructive elements and it is your responsibility to scan any
attachments.