On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 1:05 PM, Jim Leavitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> We are having trouble with certain queries which are returning anywhere
> from 100000 - 300000 rows.  Total query time is taking approx 1 - 2 mins
> depending on load.  Is there anything in our conf file which could improve
> our performance?  Are there any hardware recommendations that could help us
> improve the speed?  Would more memory help us?  Any comments or
> recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Returning 100,000 to 300,000 rows will take some time no matter how you
slice it.

A more common approach is to be sure that the database is organized for
O(log N) retrieval, then to retrieve only the records you need (the ones you
need to display, for example), then to execute a second query to get more,
and then a third query, etc.

O(log N) retrieval = indices for the columns and the database arranged so
that equality and ordering are implemented using native data types.

What is your application?

Do you really need all those rows at one time?