Ryan Schwartz wrote

mysql> show variables like '%buffer%'\G

*************************** 3. row ***************************
Variable_name: innodb_buffer_pool_size
        Value: 8388608
*************************** 4. row ***************************
Variable_name: innodb_log_buffer_size
        Value: 1048576

I'll bump innodb_buffer_pool_size to 2G and see how that goes. Thanks for the tips, if there's additional innodb tuning parameters folks tend to hit first I'd be glad to try them as well.
--
Ryan Schwartz

Hi ryan.

As pointed by Johnny, it is difficult to give optimization advise without exactly knowing the performance of your machine.

I'm assuming you are using the machine as Database Server and not running application (Web/other) on the same.
(And you are using InnoDB as engine)

I would suggest keeping innodb_buffer_pool_size pretty high (+20G)

Please read up here :
http://www.mysqlperformanceblog.com/2007/11/03/choosing-innodb_buffer_pool_size/

Also if possible get a copy of "High performance MySQL" and go through it as it covers many good techniques for high performance MySQL setup.

Some of the default InnoDB settings are horribly wrong from high performance point of view. Can you post your complete my.cnf on pastebin or somewhere ?

Regards,
Ranjeet Walunj