In the last episode (Dec 16), xufeng said:
> Is there a way to check if my MySQL5.0.67 works well on SMP?
> I have two CPUs with each two cores, and I want to know if MySQL distributes
> loads over the two CPUs.
> System OS: Linux 2.6.9-42.ELsmp
> MySQL Version: 5.0.67
> Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 3.00GHz * 2

The easiest way to check would be to run top, then run a long-running
CPU-hungry query like

SELECT BENCHMARK(100000000,ENCODE('hello','goodbye'));

from two separate mysql client sessions.  You should see two CPUs worth
of load on the system at that point.

In fact, any version of mysql should scale to multiple CPUs as long as
your OS supports kernel-based threads (most do).  Note that a single
query will always only use one CPU, so you need multiple queries in
parallel to use more.

--
        Dan Nelson
        dnel...@allantgroup.com