Ciao Stefano,

how do you connect to the different instances?

if you use different operating system users or different mysql home
directories
just put in the home directory of each user a .my.cnf file (or my.cnf in the
mysql home)
with just the prompt setting in the [mysql] section.

NOTE: in the home directory of the user the file starts with the
dot(.my.cnf).

The search order of mysql cnf files is, if my memory does not betray me,
/etc/my.cnf     $MYSQL_HOME/my.cnf     $MYSQL_USER/.my.cnf
they are all taken into consideration (like cascading style sheets)
with the last setting overwriting the prevoius read ones.
The only thing the prevent from reading all of the configuration files is
specifying the option --defaults-file=/pat/to/my.cnf   in the command line.

Sorry I cannot test it now, so please try it.

Aloha

Claudio