On Wed, Jan 7, 2009 at 6:20 PM, David Scott
<critt...@desktopcreatures.com>wrote:

> When we run a large query other queries start to back up when the large one
> gets to the 'creating sort index' phase, this lock seems to affect the
> whole
> server, all databases... does anyone know what may be causing this?

More specifics would be good, but if the other queries don't access that
table, perhaps I/O ? Check your (myisam_)sort_buffer_size and tmp_table_size
settings.

Also, creating indexes on the field that you're sorting on might be useful,
depending on the query.

--
Celsius is based on water temperature.
Fahrenheit is based on alcohol temperature.