JD,
please post the ouput from:

ls -altr /var/lib/mysql

thanks

Claudio

JD wrote:
Deamon runs as root.
ls -ld /var/lib/mysql/
drwxr-xr-x 5 mysql mysql 4096 2009-01-27 10:00 /var/lib/mysql/

So what other perms does root need?

Andy Shellam wrote:
Hi JD,

I believe the error about mysql.plugin is a red herring - it needs fixing, but it's not the reason MySQL isn't starting. The second error is the one about InnoDB not having access rights to the directory.

Check that /var/lib/mysql is writeable by the MySQL user (usually MySQL.) Make sure this is done, then MySQL will start, then you can run mysql_upgrade.

HTH,

Andy

JD wrote:
Hello List,

mysqld fails to start, and emits the following
error messages in /var/log/mysqld.log

090127 10:00:30 mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
/usr/libexec/mysqld: Table 'mysql.plugin' doesn't exist
090127 10:00:30 [ERROR] Can't open the mysql.plugin table. Please run mysql_upgrade to create it. 090127 10:00:30 InnoDB: Operating system error number 13 in a file operation.
InnoDB: The error means mysqld does not have the access rights to
InnoDB: the directory.
InnoDB: File name ./ibdata1
InnoDB: File operation call: 'open'.
InnoDB: Cannot continue operation.
090127 10:00:30 mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid ended

So, I tried to run mysql_upgrade:
# mysql_upgrade
Looking for 'mysql' as: mysql
Looking for 'mysqlcheck' as: mysqlcheck
Running 'mysqlcheck'...
mysqlcheck: Got error: 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2) when trying to connect
FATAL ERROR: Upgrade failed

So, it seems like a chicken and egg thing???
Cannot run mysql_upgrade bcause the server is not running.
Cannot run the server because I must first run mysql_upgrade.

PS: I know nothing about configuring and setting up mysql.
Amarok2 needs a running mysqld in order to organize
music tracks collections ... etc.

I need help to get mysqld  started and running and to add users
that are allowed to access and modify their databases.

Could someone send me a set of user commands to get thing going?

These are all the "mysql" related packages on my system:
mysql-5.1.30-1.fc7.remi
mysql-libs-5.1.30-1.fc7.remi
sqlite-3.4.2-1.fc7
libdbi-dbd-pgsql-0.8.1a-2.fc7