On Jan 27, 2009, at 5:44 PM, Xristos Karvouneas wrote:

Dear All,

I would like to be able to do that from the cnf file, as I want to have a different editor for MySQL commands than the one I use when writing shell scripts. When I put the following in the .my.cnf file,
[shell]
EDITOR=/usr/local/bin/pico
export EDITOR

I get no error messages when mysql starts up, but the value of the EDITOR variable does not change.

Is there any way I can achieve that from the cnf file?

No. MySQL option files are for setting MySQL program options, not environment variables.

--
Paul DuBois
Sun Microsystems / MySQL Documentation Team