Hi!

<cut>

>> The question here is how PostgreSQL and ANSI does this and also what
>> is the logical interpretation of the number.

Roy> ISO 9075 (ANSI SQL) is very strict about this. It only allows TIME
Roy> literals with 3 or 4 digit groups, and it only allows the ':' separator
Roy> (except after the seconds part). There is no possibility for ambiguity,
Roy> as the first number is always interpreted as an hour field.

Roy> This is a literal format that is seen only by the SQL programmer, so
Roy> there is no need for extensions. Date values provided by end users need
Roy> to go through localization features, so that could be a different story.

What is more important than ANSI is how our users are using TIME now
and how they want to use it in the future.

There is nothing wrong in making things easier for the end user by
using a relaxed way to read in time constants.

We don't want to break working applications that are already used to
use our relaxed time format to read data.

Regards,
Monty