* Michael Widenius <mo...@mysql.com> [09/01/30 14:53]:

> Its more important that we don't break things for current users than
> try to be concerned about possible wrong usage that no one seams to do
> or find important enough to complain about.

Monty, I disagree with this statement. Our current users use the
current versions of the server. It's a separate question of what
support we're willing to give them and for how long.
In the new versions we should hold high the expectations of new
users, and they are about standard compliance, and also about ease
of migration.

sql_modes are not a solution since they make the server code a
mess, and won't let us make everyone happy anyway.

MySQL server needs a vision. Sticking to expectations of existing
users is looking back into (not-so) glorious past. Trying to make
everybody happy is infeasible. Our only option is to move forward
to meet expectations of our modern adopters, and they are largely
more intelligent, with past database experience, so the standard
compliance is high on their list.

What's worse, is that while we're fighting internally when to make
an incompatible change and when not, our change management process
is a mess.
We introduce incompatible changes in every major release, so
people are forced to migrate their applications manually again and
again. And yet we can't plan our changes in a way that a bulk
incompatible changes in a certain area are done at once, forcing
people to look into the problem once only, rather than on every
upgrade.

It's a pity we can't shift our focus and mental efforts from
developing a shared understanding what incompatible changes are
right and called for, to developing the best way of making
changes.