Jake Maul wrote:
> Didn't want this to go unanswered, although I don't have any great
> info for you.
>
> As long as you're running a 64-bit OS and a 64-bit version of MySQL,
> there's no technical reason it would be limited to less than the
> addressable space (that I know of). The main gain would be the
> ability to set larger buffers and handle more connections
> simultaneously. Of course, this is assuming your queries and schema
> are good and you don't suffer from excessive locking problems.
>
> That is to say... yes, it'll work, and yes, as far as I know MySQL
> will be able to allocate as much RAM as you can stuff in the box.
> Whether it can use it *effectively* is something I don't have any
> experience with beyond ~8GB. I suspect it would work just fine,
> though.

I have a personal experience in this. At the office we run a High
Availability Replicated Cluster with MySQL, and I can effectively use up
(but surely not limited) to 15GB (out of 16GB available) RAM, mainly for
buffers and connections.

My current implementation bottleneck is processor cycles and the
outrageous amount of bugs and half-implemented standards that plague
5.0.45 (the latest pre-compiled stable version available for CentOS 64
bits).

Please feel free to address me if you need more information about that,
either here or at the FreeNode's #mysql IRC channel (my nick there is
LuisMottaCampos).

Cheers
--
Luis Motta Campos is a software engineer,
Perl Programmer, foodie and photographer.