While SSD's (Solid State Disks) have traditionally not been the best
hardware to use for rewrite-intensive operations like databases, over
the last few months, some leading Linux kernel engineers have been
raving about next generation Intel SSD's that are close to 20x faster
than the fastest disk drives for random access.  If robust enough, these
next generation SSD's may greatly improve relational database
performance.

Is anyone using SSD drives currently and can share their experiences?

Also, even if they are currently poor for writing, they would make a
fantastic slave drive for mega-fast access I would think right?

Our current DB is about 80GB and over 1/2 billion rows in each of two of
the tables. Reports are starting to take as long as 20 seconds to
generate. ...and don't get me started on export/import (it can take DAYS
to import).