Obviously doesn't work for extremely large datasets, but nothing stops you
from stuffing a server full of memory, assigning a huge block to ramfs, and
using that as the second leg of a mirror, with the first leg a real disk
device set to write-mostly.

Obviously you'll need to create an init script to hot-add the ramfs block
device at boot time, as all mirror volume headers are lost at power down :-)

Also, note that I specifically said ramfs, NOT tmpfs - the former only takes
sizing parameters at boot time, but creates block devices in /dev, while the
latter may be resized on-the-fly, but creates a *filesystem*, not a block
device, so you a) have to mess with loopback devices and b) are stuck with
the filesize limits of tmpfs, whatever they are. Additionally, ramfs
allocates the full amount of memory as soon as you use the block device, so
you won't unexpectedly run into memory issues months after starting your
server.