Baron,

At 07:32 PM 2/8/2009, you wrote:
> 2) Does it have Full-Text search? I need to search on paragraphs of text.

Have you taken a look at Sphinx?

I looked at Sphinx a couple of years ago and it looked great. I'm glad the author is still improving it. I'm a Windows programmer so I'm still running MySQL 5.1 on XP (I know, I know<g>). Sphinx only supports Windows on a single thread so I stayed away from it. I've got to move my databases over to Ubuntu because Sphinx is definitely a must have.

BTW Andrew Aksyonoff just showed me
in a Skype chat that he's implemented full aggregate functionality in
Sphinx, and it now understands a very SQL-ish dialect and speaks the
MySQL protocol -- so you can literally use the mysql command-line
client (or your favorite programming language's mysql connector) to
connect to it and type queries just as you would type SQL.

Sphinx has a lot of powerful functionality that makes it scale on
really big data sets and take advantage of modern hardware very well.
Unlike MySQL it can do intra-query parallelization and scaling out to
multiple machines is transparent. (There is no difference between
querying one Sphinx index and querying distributed indexes on many
machines; you just have to set the config file up correctly).

Cool! I'll revisit the Sphinx site.

I don't know what your data or your needs are, but I just thought I'd
make you aware of this; MySQL is *not* the answer to a great many
problems, regardless of the storage engine.  Use the right tool for
the job.

Right. I've used other databases that were faster than MySQL for some queries, but they can't load more than a couple million rows because of their high index maintenance. MyISAM is the only engine I've found that can load a lot of data (50 million rows) in just a few minutes and rebuild indexes in no time. It looks like I'll stick with MyISAM.

Mike